Key member instructions
Helsinki Hacklabin wiki
When you are the last person leaving
- Turn off the lights.
- Turn off electric devices, except for paper printer, network stuff, fridge.
- Be extra careful to turn off all heat generating equipment, such as 3D printers, kitchen appliances, soldering irons, hot air guns, welding room equipment.
- If you have made things in the welding room, do not leave immediately after finishing, but stay and watch over the room for at least 30 minutes, and clean up the room.
- Electronics room work benches are turned off at their individual main switches.
When you let people in
- Everyone you let in through the door is your responsibility, and they must leave at the latest when you are leaving.
- All tools/equipment are for members only. It’s completely OK to ask people who you don’t know whether they are members or not.
- When you leave, make sure that the workspace is left with only key members. Ask any people you don’t know, whether they’re key members or if another key member is hosting them.
- If you are the last key member leaving, tell anyone who is not a key member to leave with you. If the regular members are doing welding, inform them at least 30 mins before you're leaving, so that they can watch over the room.
- You can transfer hosting of a visitor or regular member to another key member, if they are willing to host.
- You have possibility to have SmartStore15 boxes for your own use, max. 4 boxes. Take a new box only when the previous one is full. Have your contact details written on the box.
- Projects that do not fit inside a SmartStore15 box must have their owner's details on them, and can be stored only with a special permission by the board or the person in charge of the storage. Unmarked or long untouched items may end up in the trash or in shared use.
- Besides the valid fire extinguishers, there are non-stamped old fire extinguishers here and there.
- The laser cutter requires the use of a CO2 extinguisher. Be always prepared to use it and have it next to you, workpieces catch fire frequently!
- Every key member must know the emergency exit at the back of the workspace.
Other safety issues
- You have no obligation to let people in, if you do not want to.
- The workspace is alcohol and drug free at all times, e-cigarettes are not also allowed.
- Make sure that any work that creates irritant or strong fumes etc. is done properly, preferably in the chemistry room or outside.
- It’s advisable to answer the phone if it rings, but you don’t have to answer any questions or promise to let people in. You can always ask the person calling to contact the board members if you feel like it.
- Inform the board members of any disturbing behaviour, hazards, threatening or suspicious happenings, etc. Possibly also the police, if necessary.
Changes in key membership
- Notify the board by email if you want to raise or lower your key member fee. Also state the time when you want the change to take effect.
- Please do not ask temporary changes in your key member fee, it makes us extra work and is error prone with manual bookkeeping, but state the amount you would be willing to pay over a longer period on average. Of course if you have sudden change in income etc. just state your new fee freely.
- If you want to end your key membership, do not return your key to us, we don't take them back or reuse them. Just keep it to yourself and we deactivate it. If you want to return to key membership, tell it to the board, and we can quickly reactivate your key.
- If there are any missing key member fee, you will get automatic notifications. After too many reminders, the key might be deactivated. The automation sends reminders by itself. Please inform us if you do not want to stay as a key member, and don't just keep ignoring the messages, they will keep coming. You can also give us a specific date when you want the key to be deactivated.
As soon as you get your new key
- Your new key works about 45 mins after activating it.
- Go try out your new key before you leave with it. If it does not work, ask the secretary for instructions.
- Hold the key close to the plastic box with a sticker on it, wait for a clicking sound and turn the door handle.
- Make sure you know the emergency exit route in the woodworking room. Climb the stairs up and down to see where it leads.